Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Simple Mind = Simple Life?

Came up with this thought at the balcony.

Looking out from the balcony for the millionth time, I wondered if I was really taking notice of the trees right in front of me, and wondered if I would recognise them at once if shown a picture of them.
So I looked at the tree on my right, analysing it in all its glory. Its branches were extremely tangled and twisted together, which made me think of all the complications in this world that shape our personalities and our lives. And at the same moment made me think of how complicated our brains are.
What made me think of these, I think, are the books 'How to overcome your difficulties' (a very Buddhist-influenced book) and 'How To Use Both Sides of Your Brain' (which repeatedly stressed the complexity and wonder of our brain throughout the book), which I had read recently.

I then thought: If our brains were extremely simple, would we lead simple, peaceful lives as well?
And I thought of things which complicated life, one of the first being Race.

Before you read the next few lines, know this to help you understand it better. I believe that our physical and cultural differences are caused by our locations, our surroundings. One of the things that influence me to think this is that most people with darker skin have origins in countries that are mainly around the equator. There are more, but that's not for now. Anyways, moving on -

Then I immediately thought: Why isn't this planet we live on smaller?
If Earth were smaller, there would be fewer people to argue with, issues would rarely be settled by bombing because countries would be too close to each other, there would be a lot less land to argue about, people would look a lot less different from each other, it would be easier for countries to communicate, deadly changes in the planet like, say, the atmosphere, would be easily observed by people, it would be harder for couples to cheat because there would be fewer places to hide, and so much more. Sure, we might become less capable to problem-solving (because of the reduction of problems) and thus become less smart, but we wouldn't have any smartypants people to compare our intelligence with, and thus wouldn't care. Our minds would be smart enough for this new world. Wouldn't a smaller planet be awesome?

Hey, what if we were given these mind-exercising complications for a reason?
I mean, none of us enjoy the complications all that much. Maybe we're smart for a reason of a larger scale, a bigger picture.

I also wonder: What if someone wished for this before, and we do indeed have a smaller planet than before? I wonder how chaotic that world would have been before this one.
Maybe it is true, maybe the world has become smaller, and maybe we haven't noticed because, similar to the adaptation theme throughout this post, everything on the Earth has become smaller with it as well.
Heh.
How funny.

Well, in that case,
Wouldn't it be better if Earth had a smaller planetary mass, but everything on it stayed the same size?

I love that balcony.
The calmness of it just... forces me to ponder.

-Zan

No comments:

Post a Comment